Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Five Course Splurge

I've had my first French restaurant revelation this week.

It was from this little hole in the wall place that I won't use by name because it can't become too famous...we (as obvious americans) were asked how we had heard about it, it is a local secret treasure. ( I'll share on request!) The following food almost made me cry it was so good. We chose to go crazy and try the chefs meal for the table, priced really well at 30 euros. I don't know the real names, so I'll try to explain...

first course:
octopus and beet salad ( who knew this would be awesome)
something like hummus, but better. seasoned SO well and kind of spicy
avocado puree and ham, what a happy couple
buttery, yummy shrimp (still with their little heads on!)
a cold melon soup
BREAD, such good bread

second:
the best halibut like fish I have ever had. cooked with these grilled bell peppers
oh and the sauce, warm tomato and peppers.
BREAD

third:
lentils and carrots and what we thought was pork. It was at this point that the gentleman who asked how we knew of this place, congratulated us on being brave.

the waitress then asks if we liked the tongue....I actually did not
BREAD (with the lentils and sauce!)

dessert:
Sheep cheese and cherry sauce. I could live in that cherry sauce. At this point in the meal I am considering working for food in the restaurant the rest of the summer

simple cherry tart, perfect end to the meal. light and delicious



2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! I can't wait for my own Paris food revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Malia,

    This is kind of random, BUT...

    I just received an email from a family friend, Lisa Levy, who says that her husband, Steve, and your Dad go on surf trips together, and that you live in Paris. anyway... that is the connection:) Lisa recommended your blog!

    I live in Paris too, and was wondering if you might be so kind as to share the name of the resto with me? it sounds amazing and my mouth is watering right now.

    Let me know if you want to get a coffee sometime! I can share some of my restaurant discoveries too:)

    zoe zoebrant@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete