Friday, July 9, 2010

I louv the louvre


I apologize for my awful pun.
I went for the Friday evening special (free under 26), and tried to follow the advice about how not to get sucked into the crowds. The same warnings...don't go in the main entrance, have a plan of places you want to see, don't get distracted by the gift shops... etc.

And what do I do? I get mesmerized by the giant pyramid, wait in the long line to go down the main steps, and end up following a herd mindlessly to the Mona Lisa. Thankfully the crowds died down early, and I was able to wonder for three hours in relatively empty rooms.

I went thinking it would be too big to enjoy or somehow disappointing, with people often listing other more manageable museums as their favorites. But I loved it. How can people not?!!? From the Italian paintings to Napoleon's living room, to the ceilings in every small corridor, I was hooked. I didn't take pictures-I wouldn't even know where to start.

Instead I brought my camera to the modern art museum- the pompidou. If you ever have one day in paris and want to see one an incredible view of the city and art, come here. They also had a great feminist art exhibit.

images of the museum itself lacking the normal exterior and the city views.

In other news, here is a random picture from fourth of july celebrated in an awesome parisian park. When we told them it was our 4th of July, they always said "congratulations". Yes, America, congratulations!

view from the top of the gazebo on the hill. somehow this huge lake and surrounding area is tucked away, but by far the best park in Paris (Buttes-Chaumont park in north Paris)

The 4th is one my favorite holidays... this is the best I could come up without an oven and with a French monoprix (no frosting, plain cakes, or blueberries). The whipped cream melted in about 2 min and yes, that is the top of smurf gummy candy for the stars.

and for tonight....GO SPAIN!

4 comments:

  1. You have to go to the crowded places! They're crowded because they're the best. Glad your bastardized 4th of July celebration at least included a pseudo-pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malia,
    Wow, you are living the life, eh?

    Did you see the sculpture "The Kiss" in the Louvre? It was my favorite.

    much love,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I saw it! thanks for the comments gail- I definitely do feel like I'm living the life. Although I will post about lab sometime so that you believe I'm actually work here too haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. got a way for me to send a photo of The Kiss?

    Ha, ha, I'll bet your work isn't really work either because you are loving what you do.

    ReplyDelete