Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Paris Rant

I feel that I need to have a disclaimer post, so that you realize despite the amazing times here, I am under no circumstances moving permanently to Paris. Hopefully this doesn't come out sounding ungrateful to Paris, or that I am suggesting living here is "difficult". But, I have already accepted that it will make me sound like a cliche American.

I've almost hit the second full month and this past week I have done almost nothing a tourist would do. In fact, I felt pretty much like a Parisian. OH... besides the fact that I don't speak French, ended up with a raw fish, lettuce and butter sandwich that I thought was just veggies, and still don't care that I go out in public in my beloved rainbows. But an old French lady asked me for help crossing the street, so obviously I have some street cred.

I got to ride the velib bikes (haven't before because my credit card lacks the required chip), after a co-worker rented one for me when we stayed out after the metro closed. Basically its free to ride under 1/2 hour ( a euro after that) and then you can just drop the bike off at a different location. Very cool public transit system.




And today I discovered the best english book store in Paris. It is NOT Shakespeare and Co, (tourist trap!) it is the San Francisco Book Company and I am in love. I took pictures (okay, yes, only tourists would take pictures). But seriously the books are almost all used/cheap and the store has the best collection and old book smell.

Anyway, reasons I needed to seek out an English bookstore and why my Paris love affair will be fleeting:

I miss american (reality/sports/bad summer shows) tv. I know, I shouldn't admit this, but it's true.

I would rather have spice in my food than butter. To be fair, I'm afraid to try the Asian food here and who knows, it might have some potential.

I can't wear heels like the French women, I get blisters from the walking I do in sandals! What I should be researching this summer is their genetic disposition to cute clothes and high heels!

I still don't convert euros to dollars. Turns out I've been paying 3 dollars for an avocado.

I like nature more than I realized.

I don't actually like goat cheese (gasp!)

BBQs are illegal, they dip their fries in mayo, and the cooked beef is still rare.

I would rather hug someone as a greeting, then kiss them four times.

No hard feelings Paris, but tie goes to America.



4 comments:

  1. I loved this! America (and I) missed you this summer- fourth of july and bbq's weren't the same. Thank goodness for itunes so you haven't been completely deprived of american reality television- go bethany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But if I moved there you'd come visit, right??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm so excited that I found you :) You captured in this one post, and only two months, the same reasons that I sometime struggle with living in Paris. Good on you to show both sides of the experience - living in France and doing the traveling is an amazing opportunity (no question), but home is always home and everything doesn't always taste better with butter (and crackers are definitely not better with bacon, surprisingly) :) I am really enjoying reading your blog - you have a great voice!

    ReplyDelete